Saturday, October 23, 2010

Kindergarten / Hoikuen 1 - Jaaa oppai misete!



There are two types of preschools here, the yochien and the hoikuen. I have been to both to teach English to the kids. Well, actually, not strictly to teach but to get the children to be accustomed to foreigners. Hoikuens are bigger preschools and they have more teachers because they are like daycares where working parents can leave their children (2-months-old to 5 years old) from 8 in the morning to as late as 7 in the evening.

Last Friday, I went to a hoikuen. It is at the eastern-most part of the city near the port. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that the community "bus" that goes to that are is actually a van which is mostly used by grannies thus one enjoys their chatter as the van cruise along the port with its music playing so that everybody would know that the bus is near.

Anyway, I was welcomed by the Enchou sensei (Principal) who I later learned, is just a year younger than my mom. She gave me a tour of the place and told me that it is a first time for the school to have a visit from an ALT.

The day started with the morning greetings outside the school. And after I have introduced myself, we did the morning exercise to the tune of Totoro's "Arukou!", with about 10 children hanging on me, shouting my name. Oh dear... it is all so cute and heartwarming.


Unchi Watching anyone?

My first class was with the 4 year-olds where we played fruit basket. The teachers had me teach the children how to pronounce the colors right (that is, orange is "orange" and not "orenji" or grapes are "grapes" and not "gure-pu").I had the children close their fists at the last syllable. Even the teachers did it and I can say it effectively removed the hanging "tsu" and "to" in "furutsu basketto".

The second class was with the 3 year-olds where we played "Trip to Jerusalem" and I used my English songs. Then, because there was still time, I had them follow me around just chanting "walk", "sit down","stop", "stand", "turn around" and "clap". Boy they went wild when I suddenly say "sit down" while they were still standing up. Then the classing "head, shoulders, knees and toes". By the end of the 30 minutes, they were already humming the song and doing the gestures.

The third class, where I spent most of my time until it was time to go home was with the 5 year olds. They are more behaved and obedient. We did the color bingo, some more songs, gestures, fooling around and ate lunch together. After lunch, it was a free time for the kids where they can do whatever interest them. Some grabbed their crayons and drew. For a while, I stayed with the drawing groups showing my ABC flashcards and had the ABC song played in the CD.

A budding artist!

Then I went to the more active group who decided to play house which turned into a restaurant and I was their customer. When I told them I don't have money to pay for what I ate, they laughed and went through a lot ruckus. Then I asked if I can just wash the plates instead and they said no, it won't do. Then the 2 boys who are ever so clever told me with naughty twinkles in their eyes, "Jaaaa okane nai kara, oppai misete!" (Well because you have no money, show us your breasts!) My mouth went, "whhhhaat???" And that started a "breast-themed" discussion until it was time for everybody to go out and do some physical activities.

In between the English, fun and excitement are some squabbles, tears and scrapes. Regardless of nationality, children are the same. I had a nice chat with the principal before I went home and we talked about the joys and rigors of parenting and teaching and English education. The more I am with these kids, the more I believe that they are the real "国際人"- kokusaijin or literally translated as "International people" defined as "people whose minds are open to international community". Their innocence and warmth know no color, go beyond any language barrier and discrimination. I think that adults should go back to the basics and learn from the children. And thus I think that English learning should begin at that age too.

And at a different note, the more I visit these preschools, the more I am motivated to build one!

2 comments:

  1. unchi watch?! oppai misete?!

    :-O :-O

    that kid could draw!!

    kaya nakakatuwa talaga mag turo sa sa pre school ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. si Katek puro reklamo hahahaha

    ReplyDelete