Saturday, October 23, 2010

Elementary School 2

My students at one elementary school are going to Tokyo for their year-end school trip next week. And because Tokyo to most of these kids would mean seeing/meeting a lot more foreigners than they are used to, the teachers thought it would be a good practice for them to practice their English conversation skills. So instead of the usual Eigo No-to today, I helped them with their dialogues. If you are in Asakusa in the morning of the 25th and groups of children suddenly approach you and ask what your favorite food or place or how long will you be in Japan, I hope that you will gamely answer their questions. They were so eager to practice their question/conversation with me that I didn`t have the heart to tell them that we don't usually say Hi, what’s your favorite and Bye to a stranger.But well, I hope those unsuspecting foreigners will find humor in the situation.

One of the students asked me last week what my favorite Disney character is. She said she has a lot of money and will buy me an omiyage when they go to Disneyland. It is against policy to accept any gift or favor from the children and I wouldn`t want to not accept her gift when they come back so today, I had a little chat with the teacher-in-charge and warned him about the student's plan. The teacher smiled and understood.

My classes today were pretty good and all of the HRTs (HomeRoom Teachers) were eager to participate in the lessons.The children had fun shouting numbers and just plain fooling around with each new vocabulary that was introduced to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment